Before heading back from Florida for Christmas, I was fortunate enough to take home two gigantic bags of grapefruit from my parents' tree in their backyard. I sent some over to a friend's house, we juiced a bunch for breakfast on 'second Christmas', sent some over to a family friend, and still had a bunch leftover. I set out to come up with some recipes to use them all up before they went bad...
We ended up making two different jams (recipes coming soon) and the pound cake featured below. And we still had a whole carafe of juice left!
Grapefruit Pound Cake
* 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
* 1 3/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 5 eggs, room temp
* 2 cups all purpose flour
* 1/2 cup heavy cream, room temp
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 3 tablespoons grapefruit zest
* 1/4 cup grapefruit juice (fresh is best)
* Baking spray
* 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
* 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest (plus more for garnish)
* 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray bread pan generously with baking spray.
2) Beat together the butter, sugar, and grapefruit zest/juice.
3) Add eggs one at a time, mixing completely after each addition.
4) Next, alternate adding the salt/flour and cream/vanilla, making sure the wet ingredients are the last addition.
5) Bake for about 1.5 hours - remove from oven once toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean.
6) Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.
1) Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
2) Spoon over cooled pound cake and garnish with additional zest.
1) I used a regular sized bread cake pan, and whereas the cake did not overflow, it was a touch too high. I would suggest either using a longer bread pan, or leaving a little batter out before baking.
2) The cake only had a smidge of grapefruit flavor, so if you want it to be stronger, I would suggest two things:
a. Add an extra tablespoon or so of zest to the batter.
b. In a pan on medium heat, reduce about a cup to a cup and a half of grapefruit juice down to the 1/4 required for the recipe.
Linking Up To:
Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots & Jello
Watcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane Boutique
Sunday Scoop @ I Heart Naptime
Sew Darn Crafty @ Sew Many Ways
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now
Think Pink Sundays @ Flamingo Toes
Craft Catwalk @ Embellishing Life
Craft-O-Maniac Monday @ Craft-O-Maniac
Made With Love Monday @ Sew Chatty
Made By You Monday @ Skip To My Lou
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
I Heart Craftastic Monday @ Sew Can Do
I Made It Monday @ Ninth Street Notions
Make Something Mondays @ Sarahndipities
Making Monday Marvelous @ C.R.A.F.T.
Monday Link Party @ Polish The Stars
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage
Saturday Seven Party @ Positively Splendid
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
Time to Shine @ A Diamond in the Stuff
Talent Tuesday @ Vintage Wanna Bee
Anything Goes @ Type A Decorating
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just A Housewife
Tuesday Time Out @ Reasons to Skip the Housework
Too Cute Tuesday @ Funky Polkadot Giraffe